Two weeks ago I wrote about some of the projects that I worked on during April, May, and June. Because I - just like everybody else - have been spending a lot of time at home, I have been able to accomplish quite a bit and there were too many projects to talk about in just one blog!
So this week brings me to my actual UFO list that I made at the beginning of the year and I am pleased to report that I was able to check off two projects. One involved a Moda Cupcake Mix and a set of charm squares (5” squares) that I won during a quilt retreat. I made 21 star blocks from the half-square triangles and used nine to make a table topper and twelve to make a table runner. I added sashing and border fabric as well as a custom quilting design to complete these projects. Now all I have to do is decide what to do with these sparkly Christmas decorations.
My biggest accomplishment was to finish an English Paper-Piecing project that I had been working on for five years. I began it when we were remodeling our storage room into my sewing room and I thought that I wouldn’t have my sewing machine available to use for about six months. This EPP project would be the perfect hand-stitching project to satisfy my need to sew. For many reasons this project was set aside several times until COVID-19 hit and I finally set my mind to finishing it. The trouble was that when I did finish the top I didn’t like it at all.....until I finished quilting it. The stitching added so much texture to the top and now it is one of my favorite quilts.
Partial progress was made on three other projects on my list. On the first one I organized the fabrics and studied the instructions on the paper-piecing kit that I purchased at a garage sale a few years ago. The technique used to construct this piece is unlike those I have done before so I have been hesitant to work on it. In addition the pieces are so tiny and I can’t quite envision how it is going to work. I’m just going to have to rip off the band-aid and get started. It will make such a cute wall hanging for my sewing room if I can manage to get it finished.
The second project is two panels with a wintery theme that I can also make into wall hangings. I have the backing and batting cut so they are ready for the long arm whenever I have a day to work on them. I don’t have too many designs or even thread colors chosen yet but will most likely let the inspiration happen while I am stitching.
The third project is a set of appliqued towels with holiday themes. I have finished five Christmas and two Fourth of July towels with 14 left to go. These are fun to work on as I get to search through my stash to find fabric. After using fusible web - I like Wonder Under the best - to adhere the shapes to the towels I use the blanket stitch on my domestic machine for the appliqué. These will make fun gifts to share with family and friends.
In addition to all of these projects on my list I stitched 23 customer quilts and five Quilts of Valor. I love the feeling of accomplishment when I can check things off my list and have gotten rather spoiled by having so much time to do these projects the last three months. Now that our world is opening up a bit more my production will most likely slow down. I’m sure I will still find time to sew but I’m also looking forward to spending time with friends and family and seeing a few sights near us.